Monday, January 28, 2013

Round 14 - ETPBC Div 5



Spent alot of the long weekend thinking about how the title for this article should read, many ideas came to mind but in the end thought - keep it as usual and let the article describe the game...

So Divvy 5 took the long road north out to Gawler, which I earlier learned is more so Evanston Park now as the club has moved from its previous site to a new oval about 10-15 minutes down the road. Great for us as the usual 40-45 minute drive is now only 25-30 minutes... I went my usual way, up the new Northern Expressway, should be put as one of the best things this state has accomplished, a dual freeway which connects Port Wakefield Road and Main North Road... Simply a delight to drive on, so smooth, it makes driving it pleasurable and you hardly notice the length of the drive.

Previously we used to go up Main North Road through Elizabeth, Munno Para etc... don't really need to describe why I prefer the other way...

So, mix tape was in featuring great's such as Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Linkin Park and System of a Down (also a hint of Nirvana and Eric Clapton...), rest of the family was either already down at Lady Bay for our big family holiday or at home getting ready to head down...

Arrived at Gawler super early after allowing too much time to get there, Quickly scoped the oval and it looked to be also used as a hockey ground, very square and not very long or shaped like a diamond...

Game time finally arrived and we took first dig at putting some runs on the board, Gus managed to do some very handy base running, stealing two bases and in the end scoring our only run for the first inning.

Matt said early on our team looked flat and this was very evident in the first 3 or 4 innings of the game, the bats we know we have weren't showing early on, fielding we were going ok too but lacked the edge to keep Gawlers mind from thinking they had a chance...

After 4 innings I think we held a lead of about 5 runs, which is good but against one of the bottom teams it was far less than expected.

Cummo was in on the money for most of the game, hitting the zone and sitting them down nicely, we just weren't backing him up with the lead he deserved.

A bit of feeling started to come into the game, coincidentally the same time Robbo went deep out Left Field which for all money looked like a Home Run but was called a Double by the Gawler player. The heat came after the opposition pitcher decided to "chat" a bit more about it and even claim wind assistance in the hit.

Well, the moment all have been waiting for..

The pitcher moved to Short and his new protege stepped to the plate to salvage what was left of the sinking ship, Robbo and Ralph were sitting on 3rd and 2nd and I recall my first thoughts was I wanted to belt the living daylights out of this ball as when I got to the plate the pitcher was mouthing off to Robbo, not good first impressions haha

I left the first ball as I usually do, just to see how fast and how controlled the ball was as it hits the catchers glove. The 2nd ball was perfect for me, inside and high to the inside, this time I put everything behind it.

As I ran to first I watched it sail over the left field line and the left fielder whacked his hands up to show Home Run... The moment I've been yearning for since I last hit my first ever Home Run down at Glenelg.

Now, alot will say I was a tad excited... couldn't be further from the truth hahaha, to hit a Home Run is the best feeling, to think you've hit the ball that far, something we've done a little this year but not heaps so I've joined the group...

Funniest thing was, as I touched 2nd base on my way to 3rd the Shortstop went out to get the ball from the Left Fielder and was yelling out "Not bad for a wind assisted Home Run"....

There are some who accept things happening to them and there are some who act out when losing, he was the latter unfortunately, I laughed really hard when I heard that then made reference to his mouth being wind assisted...

I'm sorry and this might just be me, but if your languishing on the bottom of the ladder, losing too to a team who is in the Top 4 and also your using the same conditions as this Top 4 team... I don't think you have any ground to stand on to then ark up at the opposition by trying to bring their score down...

So, I hit home plate and the team was there to meet me as we celebrated my bat waking up but also the 3 runs just quickly added to the scoreboard..

Matty went down quickly with a strained calf so Jonesy who was sitting down with a strained neck came back on, Matt's was more so a light strain and more cautious than anything...

Scoop pulled up late in the last inning with a hamstring, not sure how bad at this stage but hopefully just minor...

So our ET Boys ran out winners 14-1, could have been much worse but we were certainly flat both with the bats and in the field in the first half of the game.

This week we're at home against Golden Grove which is going to be tough, but we seek revenge for the last game we played there when I think it is safe to say were nowhere near where we are now...

PS - I'm still grinning from ear to ear, here's hoping I can do it again in the not so distant future!

No comments:

Post a Comment